SL have been working on a new SL Umpire Code Of Conduct statement for all umpires officiating SL/SI games and events.
We will be incorporating this as part of umpire refresher and new umpire programmes going forward also.
All Softball Leinster umpires are expected to abide by and promote the Softball Ireland Code of Conduct in addition to the Umpire’s Code of Conduct as noted below.
Umpire Code of Conduct
In addition to Softball Ireland’s values and general Code of Conduct, as an official
appointed by Softball Ireland, Softball Leinster or an affiliated association or club you must meet the following requirements with regard to your conduct during any activity held by, or under the auspices of, Softball Ireland, Softball Leinster or an affiliated association or club:
1. Respect the rights,dignity and worth of all people,and refrain from any discriminatory practices against any person regardless of age, gender, ethnic origin, religion or ability;
2. Place the safety and welfare of the players/participants above all else;
3. Be fair, impartial, and avoid any situation which may lead to a conflict of interest;
4. Be courteous,respectful and open to discussion and interaction;
5. Refrain from any form of personal abuse. This includes verbal, physical and emotional abuse;
6. Refrain from any form of sexual harassment. This includes explicit, implicit, verbal and nonverbal sexual harassment;
7. Make a commitment to providing a quality service to softball, to your affiliated club, association and state, and to Softball Leinster by continually improving your officiating knowledge and skill. Seek continual self-improvement through performance appraisal and ongoing education;
8. Be professional in your appearance and manner and accept responsibility for your actions. Display high standards in language, manner, punctuality, preparation and presentation Display control, respect, dignity and professionalism to all involved with softball, including opponents, coaches, officials, umpires, scorers, administrators, the media, parents and spectators Encourage others to demonstrate the same qualities;
9. Operate within the rules and spirit of the sport. Abide by and respect the policies governing softball and sport generally and the organisations and individuals administering those policies. Reject the use of performance enhancing drugs in sport and abide by the anti-drugs policies of the relevant national and international sporting organisations and government regulatory bodies;
10.Value the individual in sport;
11.Do not tolerate acts of aggression;
12.Encourage inclusivity and access to all areas of officiating.